You Can't Use Up Creativity... The More You Use, The More You Have
- Maya Angelou
Ok ok ok OK…… I can hear you all screaming at me…
Creativity must come from within….. Like some mystical force, writing and painting, singing and dancing its way out of your skin; or if you think it is reserved solely for those moody, broody purple hair dying “artsy” people, well I’m here to tell you that is just not the case!
Follow the simple steps on how to be creative below and you will be surprised at what you can do.
How to be creative in 3 easy steps:
Just picture this…. You are on a thirty day charter and you have set your superbly elegant and super creative evening table setting, when it hits you like a ton of bricks…
“Oh NO its only day seven"! ..... What are you going to do for the next 21 days?
Now let’s do some maths, the chef has probably already done the same,
- That’s another twenty three breakfasts
- Twenty two lunches
- Twenty two dinner tables to set (please don’t think I’m exaggerating because this happened to me).
So you look to your table linen and decorations cupboards and call on all of the forces for inspiration. Before you fall into deep despair, engage your creative brain and follow these 3 simple steps:
How to Be Creative When Setting a Table - Step 1.
Remember, there is no right or wrong for this and there won’t be a test at the end. As a child you had the most brilliant imagination before school, society and aging did their best to knock it out of you.
Can you remember playing as a child?? Now just channel your inner child.
Things that you will need are:
- A good understanding of how to set a table, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, buffet, and cocktail hour.
- Knowledge of what crockery, cutlery, glassware, table linen, reusable and non-reusable decorations that you have on board (or in your home for my domestic goddess readers).
- Time to plan (if time is short as it always tends to be then you need to be able to manage it properly).
- A creative spirit (Most important tool).
How to Be Creative When Setting a Table - Step 2.
- Ok, so you know you have x amount of table linens, table clothes, place mats, runners and napkins. So start to mix and match, add paper napkins into your fold for colour, use ribbons, rope or vine instead of napkin rings.
- While you’re at it, mix and match your crockery add glasses if the design permits.
- Remember, there is no right or wrong when you are creating something.
How to Be Creative When Setting a Table - Step 3.
“Introducing a random element helps you to change perspectives”. So you already know how to set a table properly, so let’s start to theme the settings, this is usually done for lunch and dinner.
Some creative ideas could be:
- Colour theme: Black and white.. Take black and white photos of the events of the day, print them out and the guests will love them as keepsakes.
- Daily quotes: Get writing or copy some of the most favourite quotes of all time. Print them on cards and decorate accordingly.
- Daily mementos from the places you visited: If the budget allows pop into the closest tourist shop and pick up a selection of fridge magnets, postcards, and trinkets.
- Candle it up: This one really depends on the weather, location and yacht policy on candles, but it is such a simple and elegant way of decorating a space
- Costume Party: Again, if it is in the budget and if you have the space, this is really a fun way to mix it up and the guests love it.
I could go on and on, but as it turns out the 21 days flew by and my team and I didn’t use the same idea twice.
I will post specific decoration ideas a little later on but until then, don't panic, channel your inner child to get your imagination going, and remember to mix it up!.
Thanks for reading my How to Be Creative When Setting a Table.
As always, safe travels and calm seas
Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it!
- Dee Hock