Super Yacht Chief Stewardess Angela Orecchio teaches you how to get your "Yachtie Glow" on...
Where do you come from?
- Just outside of Seattle, Washington in a suburb called Bellevue. Not the hospital, Bellevue rather, the place where Bill Gates lives 🙂
What do you do in your spare time?
- Write and develop my blog, ride my road bike, run, travel, hike, explore, hoop dance. I love being in the waves on a surfboard when I can and I want to start diving more.
What makes you laugh?
- Movies from the early 90’s like Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Wayne’s World, Big Business, Home Alone, Ace Ventura…. and my boyfriend- he does a pretty great impression of Jim Carrey
What would you like to be doing five years from now?
- Working full time at my travel, yachting and health blog, The Yachtie Glow
Where would be your favourite holiday destination and why?
- Hawaii and Costa Rica. I am happiest and most inspired in a tropical location where the water is warm, the waves are good and the tropical fruit is plentiful. Thailand is coming up soon, so I’ll let you know if it makes the cut!
Where do like to shop?
- Lulu Lemon, Surf shops, Pottery Barn and Farmers Markets
What inspires you?
- Traveling inspires me to think beyond my limitations, immediate reality and be grateful for everything I have. Being in a new location also inspires me to write and create in ways that sometimes don’t flow when I’m sitting in one place for too long.
How long have you worked in the super yacht industry?
- Just over four years
Traveling inspires me to think beyond my limitations...
What are your biggest accomplishments?
- Taking what I’ve learned from challenges I’ve faced and turning them into my greatest source of strength.
Can you work under pressure?
- I don’t feel very healthy when I feel stressed but it sharpens my focus and I get the job done.
What is the most difficult situation you have faced?
- Having a long bout with anxiety and depression many years ago. One that I have faced and overcome with changes to my diet and lifestyle.
What are your pet hates?
- Hate is definitely a strong word but I would say I hate when people don’t own up to their mistakes (because everyone makes them), people who hurt animals and dirty restrooms!
Tell me about the last time you felt anger on the job?
- Dealing with a series of crew who disrespected the Captain and took advantage of the owner every chance they could.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
- I really enjoy organizing long-term projects as well as planning and organizing events for the crew and guests. I absolutely love impressing the guests with a planned event, a new table decoration or a perfectly made bed. I get a lot of joy from seeing their happy faces.
Can you recommend a service or a product that may be helpful to Super yacht Stewardesses?
- Yes. Two things come to mind. One is your module on housekeeping. There are a lot of useful tips in there that I will be using to train my stews.
- Another one is my blog because I give a lot of advice on how to be successful and stay healthy in this industry.
If there is just one piece of advice that you could give to our fellow stewardesses, what would it be?
- Show your enthusiasm for this job and for life every day.
Can you please tell us about The Savvy Stewardess?
- The Savvy Stewardess is a resource for new and existing yacht crew who want to be successful and healthy in the industry. It is also a travel blog. I’m very excited that I have a new site being built now that will be a lot more user friendly so that the posts will be more organized and easier to find.
When did you develop a passion for health and wellness?
- In 2001 when I found out I had an intolerance to dairy. I was taken by a friend to a Coop where I was introduced to dairy and meat alternatives as well as organic foods. I experimented with many diets after that before I found what worked for me, but that was the beginning of my awareness and passion for health and wellness.
What type of reading do you do on a daily basis?
- I read travel and health blogs on a daily basis.
If you could go back and change something related to your education (or your life as a student), what would you change?; or what would you do differently?
- I would have studied theatre and dance rather than business. I've learned more about real business in my professional life than I ever did in college.