A skill every super yacht stewardess must learn to master.
The life of a superyacht stewardess is incredibly busy with many tasks demanding her attention seemingly all at once, therefore time management is the greatest skill that a super yacht stewardess can posses.
- Time management is the ability to effectively manage your goals by implementing good planning and task management.
- Poor time management can be related to lack of focus, distractions and procrastination, as well as problems with self control and personal power.
- If you are a stewardess who wishes that there were more hours in a day, then below are some helpful tips to help you achieve more throughout the day.
Focus: The more you focus on a set task the more you can achieve in a day, additionally the less you focus on the task the more distracted you become which results in a sub-quality of work.
Delegate: Many people attempt to do everything themselves, which quite often results in a burnt out and stressed out stewardess. However many tasks can easily be assigned to other colleagues, so that you have more time to accomplish the most important tasks.
- This is a very valid point to make if you are the Chief Stewardess or second stewardess and have a more structured day.
- If you are a junior stewardess than this is an important point to make if you are feeling inundated with too much work, let your superiors know what task you are up to so that they can redistribute the work load.
Priorities Tasks: Procrastination and putting off tasks that can be completed during the day is a recipe for disaster.
Procrastination occurs for several reasons:
- You do not like the job
- You are too tired
- You do not have the skills to complete the task within the time required
Quite often because of the above reasons, this leads to avoidance of the task. Therefore, it is a good idea to do the more challenging tasks first, when the team is fresh and has enough mental energy that is necessary to complete the task.
In addition to this tackling the more difficult or unpleasant jobs first reduces the amount of time to build up stress and anxiety, making it seem less hard.
Set Goals: Setting goals is a very effective way of achieving the workplace demands in a timely manner. By simply setting a goal you can organise your day, week and month better.
One advantage of setting a goal is to improve time management, and to have a realistic understanding of how much can be achieved in one day. However a goal must be set in an effective manner, for example:
- The right person must be delegated to the task.
- You must have enough resources to achieve the goal.
- It must be a realistic goal.
- You must be interested in achieving the goals set.
Meet the deadline early: Deadlines are there to help us manage our time better. Certain tasks are inevitable and must be met by a certain time. Rushing to get a job done can result in poor attention to detail, however if you break the big task down into smaller manageable jobs that can also be delegated then the task can get done before the deadline and with a higher standard of work.
Stay Organised: Organisation and time management are like two pee’s in a pod. Many people waste time by:
- Playing on the computer.
- Messaging their friends.
- Or just being too consumed by too many things at once.
To stay organised follow these simple steps:
- Maintain a cleared work space, clutter is a killer of time, every day clean your work space. This will ensure a clear mind and a more efficient way of working.
- Make sure you have the tools and resources readily available to you.
- Keep your day planner or schedule up to date, when one task is finished strike it off the list, and if it is not completed on the day, put it down to be completed the following day, or work the extra hours to get the job done.
Minimize stress: The effects of stress on the body can be damaging, and there are many books written about this subject.
Stress impairs your ability to manage your time well. To effectively manage your stress, identify the triggers. Next, remove the triggers, or if this cannot be done take steps to reduce the amount of stress that you place on yourself by
- Sleeping well.
- Eating right.
- Exercise daily.